Just a few days ago, a gorgeous faux topiary tree in my friend’s office caught my eyes. So I didn’t delay searching for a catchy one. Unfortunately, the high price tag of the plants upset me. However, I didn’t lose hope, rather learned “How to make artificial topiary trees?”
Fortunately, I had few sources to learn, and finally, I made a gorgeous fake topiary tree costing just a few bucks. Moreover, It was quick and didn’t require hard labor.
If you are someone like me who loves the look of topiary trees but doesn’t want to pay a big bill, then you are at the right place. In this article, you are going to learn the complete process of making a DIY topiary plant.
How to Build a Faux Topiary Tree?
To build one, all you need is just some materials and tools. Here I am going to add a list of supplies you need, and after that, I am going to describe the whole process step by step.
- Artificial greenery balls
- Terra cotta or bamboo pot
- Floral foam
- Paint (white, green, brown)
- Modeling clay
- Plastic dish
- Glue gun
- Sharp knife
- Take the scissor and cut the floral foam, maintaining an ideal size to fit it into the pot. In the meantime, plug in the glue gun and let it heat up.
- Next, add the hot glue to the bottom of the floral foam and then place it inside the pot.
- Detect the center of the foam and insert the pointy end of the skewer through it.
- Now apply hot glue to the other end of the skewer. Thereafter quickly slide the fake greenery balls onto the skewer, and hold them at the right position for a minute to let them set onto the skewer perfectly.
- After that, paint the skewer and let it dry (Apply mossy green color)
- Now roll a smallish piece of modeling clay, twisting around the skewer. Repeat the process for the second clay. Have you noticed – how it brings the looks of a vine?
- Again, paint the modeling clay vine in a mossy green and let it dry.
- In the last step, apply hot glue to the ground base (top of the floral foam) and cover the ground with moss.
Required Tools & Materials
- 3 feet tree branch
- Floral wire
- Artificial pine garland
- 6 feet foam pipe insulation
- Large planter
- 4×4 board
- Fabric/burlap (1 yard)
- Drill with a paddle bit
- Pruning shears
- First, look for a straight branch and trim it to length using a saw. As you want the branch to stand upright, drill a hole into the base of the 4×4 board. Now choose a paddle bit that is larger or the same in diameter as the branch for a secure fit. Now cut the board, maintaining a balance in height with the planter. Make sure the height of the board is slightly beneath the top of the planter.
- At this step, you need to bring the aesthetic look of the real evergreen spiral topiary. For that, you need to build an attractive base. So, choose a thinner and more narrow foam pipe insulator and evergreen garland. Now, choose 2 strands of 6 feet and cover the pipe insulator.
- Get one end of the insulator pipe and wrap it with garland by bending the needles and twisting the ends together like bread ties. Very soon, you will notice the foam disguised. Following the same way, wrap the second garland and if required, use the third garland. I think it won’t require more than 2.
- After that, use the floral wire to secure the length of the garland-wrapped-foam to the standing branch. Also, attach the garland to the brand and use additional wire to set the garland to twigs.
- The previous step may expose the foam again. So, once again, reposition the needle to cover the exposed foam.
- You are done. If you are willing to keep it indoors, then use burlap or fabric to cover the inside of the planter. Again, if it is for outside decoration, then backfill the planter with soil and moss on the top.
Those who are willing to make a topiary using fake flowers, I won’t disappoint them because, in this sector, you are going to get the full procedure of making a flowerful topiary.
Necessary Materials and Tools
- Faux flowers
- Styrofoam balls (2 pieces)
- Decorative stones
- Fake branches
- Coffee cup with saucer
- Glue gun
- Diagonal pliers
- First, you need to cut one of the styrofoam balls in half and apply hot glue inside any half of the ball.
- Now insert one half of the ball inside the cup and glue it properly to ensure a secure fit.
- After that, take the diagonal plier and cut off the stem of the faux flowers. Don’t throw them to the winds; they will come in use very soon.
- Get another styrofoam ball and glue the flowers around it. Make sure the flowers have covered the 100% area of the ball.
- At this step, insert some springs between some of the flowers to make them look more natural and hold the flowers in place.
- Now take the stems you cut off a few moments ago and use them to make a trunk.
- Attach the artificial trunk to the rest of the plant.
- After that, push the trunk through the styrofoam inside the cup. If it doesn’t seem secure, then use hot glue.
- Add some decorative stones into the base to cover the styrofoam and make the tree more stable.
- At this step, cut off some springs & leaves and thereafter glue them at the top of the saucer. (Make sure to keep some room at the center of the saucer)
- Place the cup at the center of the saucer, and it is done.
I hope everything will go fine if you follow the directions while making a DIY fake topiary plant. As it is a handcrafted task, take your time while giving the structure, covering the pipes, and painting the clay.
Through the article, along with the faux topiary tree, I have also explained the way to make spiral topiary and a flowerful topiary. But remember, if you’re not an artistic-type guy, then don’t forget to call your artist friends. That’s it for today; I wish you all the luck in building your upcoming topiary tree.